What Can I Do If I See My Position Advertised?

Question:

What can I do if I see my position advertised? The last few weeks have been tense at work. I was reprimanded a week ago. I though my boss and I made up, and I was going to keep trying harder. Yet I kept getting a feeling that I was still on her wrong side. I saw this advertisement was posted two days after my reprimand, and the same day the boss and I had an argument.

I was upset about trying my best to do my job, but felt I was rushed. I also heard a coworker make a comment that they went out to a bar and got drunk. I mentioned it to the boss and she took it personally. I think this was what pissed her off the most. She made a point to say that the other coworker was not talking to me, and the coworker meant that her and her friends got drunk not the boss.

Should I mention it after work, during lunch, or first thing the next day? Do you think if I bring it up, and we discuss it further there is any chance of remaining at this job, being placed elsewhere or at least receiving a recommendation? Unemployment?

What’s Next?

Answer:

Dear What’s Next?:

You have already talked about “it” too much. Right? Now you ask: Should I mention it after work, during lunch, or first thing the next day? By “it” I assume you mean to ask if your gossip about a coworker getting drunk with your boss that your boss denied and now the ad you saw about your position. You propose three alternative times for initiating a conversation about “it.” I can’t advise you to TALK ABOUT IT at any one of these times. You will have to decide if it so worries you that you can’t ignore “it.”

You should have learned by now that gossip got you in bad with your boss. Possibly the ad you saw was to find your replacement. Possibly not. If you feel compelled to learn one way or the other, you can ask. I rather think it would be best for you to focus on what you say is “trying my best to do my job” and keeping your ears open for hints of what the ad means.

Making your self an employee who is too valued to be replaced might be too late; however, I would not assume that. Be the kind of employee you know would contribute to you employer. Be the kind of employee you know will make your boss’s job easy. Be the kind of employee you know will be a cheerleader for your coworkers. Stop the gossip.

Meanwhile, it might be wise to get your resume in order and to quietly explore other places of work. Does this advice make sense? I’m sorry you have this worry about your keeping your job and feeling guilty about spreading rumors about your boss and coworker. But you have this worry on your mind. You can allow it to play and replay in your mind and conversations with family and friends, but would it not be better for you to say that is past and to now focus on positive topics. Appropriate topics for work conversation are about cutting wasted supplies, wasted effort, and wasted time, and most of all about pleasing your internal and external customers. Appropriate non-work topics are not about others personal lives. It is safer to talk about the weather, some recreation, and the news. Small talk is best kept to a minimum.

Work is hard enough without worries that now bother you. Can you allow this matter to be a learning experience? Can you now reflect on positives rather than negatives? Can you think about what I mean by my signature sentence: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS?