What Can I Do?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about talk about another employee:

My manager called another employee on the phone and told them that I said something, which I did not say. What can I do about this?

Signed, Didn’t Say It

DearĀ Didn’t Say It:

You can talk with your manager and the employee to whom it was said. State that it must be a misunderstanding and firmly state that if the manager perceived that you said what you did not, that it was an unintentional misunderstanding. Obviously there is something going on between your manager and you, and now probably between that other employee and you. Possibly, you need to get clarification on who is supposed to do what and/or approve of something that is job related. You should have a job description in writing, but you three might need to have a head-to-head meeting to set things straight.

Communication is fragile and the truth is that misunderstanding is common and clarification is frequently needed. Most of all, don’t allow this unpleasant incident to sour you on your manager. Avoid gossip about it. Just do your job to the best of your ability and don’t make this an obsession.Work is hard enough without “he said I said” kind of talk. Focus on being helpful and on making one another’sĀ  work easier and more effective. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. If you understand and live by that signature sentence, I predict that you can soon put the past in the past and look forward.