What Can I Expect Now That I’ve Been Fired?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about after being fired:

I was fired on 10/1/12 from a seasonal job I had for 6 years. I had perfect attendance.My boss favored the owner’s daughter who hates welfare, fat people, older people, poor people, and most of all God. Her best friend, my boss, fired me the day before my 5 year dinner. Huge reward. When fired, I thought I was getting a present from them! I went into shock. I never want to work again, ever.They called the police and told my daughter I was missing right after they fired me. I just grabbed my stuff and boxed it.Do I get my future tips since I was in sales? My one personal day? My bonus due in December?

Signed, Angry and Hurt

Dear Angry and Hurt:

Your situation is a sad one and obviously very upsetting. However, we don’t have a way to know what the details of your dismissal will involve. Unless you had a contract (doubtful, since you were seasonal) you may only get what they decide to give you. You could contact the department of labor in your state to see if there are state laws governing pay and pay-outs. There probably are not such laws for seasonal workers, but it might be worthwhile to find out.It doesn’t sound as though you were fired because of a problem, you were just not retained in a seasonal job and the owner’s daughter was hired instead. So, perhaps you can use your friendship and relationship with the manager or others, to help you get this settled. Maybe you could send the HR section of the business, or the owner if the business is small, a letter asking for clarification about what you will receive as a final payout. You could mention the bonus that you would have received in December and ask if you could receive some part of that as a recompense for your hard work up until the October date.

I wish there was something I could tell you to make this better, but obviously there is not. I can only wish you the best with this and hope that something will soften their attitude to the point that they give you the financial pay out that seems to be due to you. Best wishes to you with this. Stay strong and find as much emotional support as possible to help you through this troubling time.