What Is Meant By Hints About Me Looking Elsewhere?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about: On three occasions I have been told that if I’m not happy to consider looking elsewhere

I have been working within a department in a hospital for 3 1/2 years and do an extremely good job. But,on three occasions I have been told that if I’m not happy to consider looking elsewhere. I have a very stressful and demanding fast pace career/work and from time to time something goes wrong due to other employees that don’t meet the deadline and it comes back to bite me and I have to defend my work and position. I would like to know what does it mean when I continue to be told to consider looking elsewhere if I am unhappy. Am I being verbally fired from my job?

If you don’t think you have acted unhappy with work, it certainly would be worrisome to have that statement made several times! The best person to ask about it is the person who says it. If it hasn’t been too long ago, bring it up again.”Jan, you made a statement the other day that has really worried me. You said if I wasn’t happy at work to look elsewhere. Do you think it seems that I’m NOT happy here? Or, do you think I’m not doing a good job and are hinting for me to look for another one? I’d really like to know.”

Usually a manager or supervisor tells an employee something like that in response to their perception that the employee is complaining too much or is self-pitying (whining) or is saying or doing something that indicates they dislike a lot of things about work. They might say: “If you hate it here so much, find a job where you can be happy and let someone who wants your job have it.”

So, perhaps you have reacted more to the pressures of your work than you realize. Or, maybe you have complained excessively about coworkers not meeting deadlines. Or, it could be that you have a manager who views any attempt to correct a problem as being a troublesome complaint they don’t want to deal with. So, the statement could be an unfair one. If you are having to defend yourself and your work often because of something someone else has done or not done, it sounds as though you need to talk to your manager about that and get it settled. Maybe you can work with other sections on ways to track work better and keep it on schedule, and thus help yourself as well as showing that you do want to work there–you just want to work in a better organized situation.You need to find out exactly what was meant by the statement, and work to resolve any underlying problems, and that will involve talking to your manager. Best wishes in your work and your efforts to feel more sure of the situation.