What is the Oreo Cookie Approach?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about giving criticism:

What is the Oreo Cookie Approach?

Signed, Wondering

Dear Wondering:

Hello! I would imagine this is a homework assignment. If so, you probably have found the answer by using a search engine on the Internet. I will tell you up front that I think the term “Oreo Cookie Approach” is very confusing for the concept, which is to sandwich a criticism between two positive comments.That doesn’t mean you have to say the three things one right after another, just that you should start a work discussion on a positive note and end it on a positive note.

The reason I don’t agree with calling it the Oreo Cookie Approach is that in an Oreo Cookie the good part IS the middle! Some people refer to it as the Sandwich Technique, which also implies good stuff in the middle.So, I have always referred to it as the Sugar and Medicine Technique, to imply a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine taste a bit better. Hope this is helpful to you. Best wishes!