What Should I Know Before Applying For Manager?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about applying for a manager position: What questions do I need to ask my director concerning the position?

¬†Over the weekend I’ve decided to apply for the managerial position. What questions do I need to ask my director concerning the position? My manager will be around for another two weeks before she leaves. Should I ask her anything?

Signed, Decided

Dear Decided:

You might already know some things about the position because you have probably seen some of what goes on. Because you mentioned the stress levels of your current position, you might want to explore that issue with the manager to see how it compares. You might want to learn as much about the responsibilities and duties as you can. Make sure you know what is expected of you.

One thing to explore is the hours. If you are hourly now, you might be on a salary with the new position. Try to ascertain what the expected hours will be. If the hours will be more than you work now, will that work for you? In the end, you will want to know as much as possible about the position and the associated demands. That way, you will be better informed and less caught off guard if something turns up if you are offered and accept it. Good luck! WEGO is making informed choices so everyone can do better.

Steve Carney, Guest Respondent