Employment Contract Concerns

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about incompetence:

I am working for a foreign donor-funded project in Kenya and the foreign boss insists that I am incompetent for the job and that I should not be working for the project, once uttering these words right in front of my peers, but in my absence. My Kenyan bosses are in a dilemma because they may not have sufficient grounds to terminate my 3 year contract, now 9 months gone. According to the contract I only qualify for my entitlements upon successful completion of the stipulated 3 year contract period. The situation is frustrating and uncertain for me. I need your advice.

Feeling Pushed Out

DearĀ Feeling Pushed Out:

We are not attorneys and do not know about contracts, especially in other countries. However, we can advise you to communicate with your manager about your work and find out in what areas your manager thinks you are not doing well. Then, either point out how you have been successful in those areas or work diligently to gain the knowledge and skills you need.

I can imagine it is upsetting to not know whether you will be able to keep your job or not. But it may also be upsetting to your employers if they feel they have a three year contract with someone who is not doing the work to their satisfaction. Be open to hearing criticism, as unfair as it may sound, and see if you can fulfill your contract, receive your full benefits and move on to something else that suits you better. That isn’t legal advice, but it can help you hold on and feel proud of your work accomplishments. Best wishes to you with this issue.