Whose Name in Write-Ups At Work?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a write-up:

I received a write-up for things that other people also do. I feel that I was written up because my manager wants to give a promotion that I applied for and am more qualified for, to someone else. My question is this: A coworker of mine brought me food and her name was put in my write-up for bringing me food. Are there rules about her name being put in there and can she fight it like she wants to?

Signed, Helping a Friend

DearĀ Helping a Friend:

It sounds as though this has created some unhappy feelings all the way around. But, there are no rules or regulations about how a work write-up has to be formatted. If your coworker didn’t get in trouble, she doesn’t seem to have much to protest. The truth is that she brought you food and the manager would have to state who did it, when she wrote a warning to you about it. She could have just written a generic thing like, “a coworker”. But, that would not be effective documentation. I’m sorry things aren’t going so well there. But, if you can move past this, maybe you will show your maturity and ability to come back from irritations. Best wishes to you with this!