Will Doctor Talk About My Illness To My Employer?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about doctor patient information:

Can you please tell me if my workplace calls my doctor to ask what is wrong with me, would the doctor tell them?

Signed, Privacy Please

Dear Privacy Please:

We aren’t a medical site and can’t speak for every doctor, but I can’t think there would be a doctor anywhere who would violate patient confidentiality by discussing private information. In the United States it could be illegal for the employer to try to get the information without employee consent, according to the circumstances. One way to be certain would be to call your doctor’s office and ask about the policy. Best wishes to you about this matter.