Written Up For Being Ill

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about write-ups for time of surgery :

Hi, I hope maybe you can help me with this. I was written up today or well had too sign a verbal written warning letter because of 3 occurrences. By which I had surgery in Dec and was out 4 days which counts as 1 occurrence, even though I let my manager know 1 month in advance. She said she can still give me an occurrence for this. I have read the employee handbook and yep it states an occurrence will be issued for any day you call in. This was a planned event.She seems to think it is not excused under our rules.Others in my department have missed days and should be written up, but she fudge’s the calendar and puts approved on others when they are out, protecting them from an occurrence.

She is constantly on me every week about something. This is a small company, if I go over her head I will pay dearly. I am going crazy , even my coworkers which are only three of us, say she is always on me and they are not ever getting it from her. I am 41 yrs old very serious and mature, I am not a child, and my manager is 43. I think she really wants me to quit. It’s been two years and I still will not quit. She has even reduced my yearly raise, trying to get me to quit. What should I do?

Signed, Targeted

Dear Targeted:

You also wrote to us about the pay raise issue. So, that, combined with this clearly points to the fact that your supervisor and you do not have a good relationship! If you don’t want to go over her head, there are limited options, but the main one is to find a way to communicate with her about this. Some questions for you to consider as you think about this:

What do you think is her view of this situation? You think you’re a good worker, but does she? Does she have some evidence of mistakes or issues that you may not agree with, but that part of your record? If there are such a small number of employees, why do you think she would lie for some and yet hold you strictly accountable?

The bottom line–as tough as it is to admit–is that she doesn’t value you and your work enough to make her want to work with you to solve some of these conflicts. So, what is it that she could use to justify her actions? When you have considered that, you really should try to talk to her. Just say honestly, “Pat, I want to do a good job and I hope you WANT me to do a good job, but I get the feeling that something is the matter and I don’t know what it is. Could you talk to me about that?”

She’ll probably say nothing is the matter, but push it a bit in a nice way. Something like, “Something IS the matter, and I wish you would help me find a way to turn it around. If it’s work, I need to know that. If it’s something else, I need to know that too.”I mentioned to you before to have a copy of your evaluation. You’ve had time to get that now and to look at it. Ask her which one of the areas does she think you could work on and which are strong areas.If you don’t talk to her, and you don’t go over her head, nothing at all will ever change–until something worse happens. So, you will need to find a way to do one of those two things, OR to decide on your own what needs to be improved, changed, adjusted or, maybe just tolerated to keep your job. That isn’t meant to be disheartening!

But, you must admit, there is no magic answer to something that really seems to mostly involve you and your supervisor.As far as the occurrences issue–I don’t know what your book says, but it seems to me you should check with HR or personnel to find out if a planned surgery fits the guidelines for excused. I know this must be frustrating, but if you want it to improve you will have to be active in your efforts….whatever those efforts are.Best wishes! And let us know what happens with this if you wish to.